As we continue to build the foundation of our mentoring program, we will continue to stress the importance of education. Education is not defined by degrees attained, but by the knowledge attained – which is strengthened through READING!
In the summer, it is easy for kids to get very relaxed because they don’t have homework to keep them busy. Our mother did not let us get lazy in the summer – instead, she bought us summer workbooks for reading and math. Yes, the same way we had to complete homework before playing with toys or going outside with friends, we had to do our summer reading and workbooks!
What are some of the benefits of summer reading?
- It helps children retain the material learned during the school year
- It helps ignite creative thinking and imagination which will support problem-solving
- It helps keep children out of trouble!
To encourage young girls to read this summer, we are proud to announce our Celebrate Sisters Summer Reading Challenge!
There are two reading categories for this competition: 5th – 8th grade and 9th-12th grade. Since we are based on the MS Coast, this competition is limited to girls in this region at this time. The challenge will begin on July 5 and end on August 5 and prizes will be given to the winner of each category. Entries must be received by 11:59pm on August 5!
Here are the rules for the Celebrate Sisters Summer Reading Challenge:
- Select books in your reading level and make sure to get parents/guardian approval for content. *For book suggestions, visit your nearest public library.
- Keep a log of the books read and include the Book Title, Author(s), and Number of Pages.
- Try to include at least one book that pushes reading skills to the next level.
- Write a 1 page essay answer the following questions
- Which book did you enjoy the most and why?
- What have you learned from doing this reading challenge?
- Share the summer reading book log so we can highlight how many books you have read during this challenge!
- Email essays and book lists to email@example.com and include “SUMMER READING CHALLENGE” in the subject line.
- OR Mail to 3623 Reeves Lane, Ocean Springs, MS 39564
- HAVE FUN!!!